Monday, 20 February 2012

Crafter's Companion Ultimate Box Tutorial

For some reason blogger has decided to steal my tutorial and over the last few weeks I have had lots of emails asking about boxes so here goes...

I am using my Crafter's Companion Ultimate, now this is a really old one is broken, and has been ran over by the electric wheelchair so please don't laugh at it, I am saving for a brand new one and will have one one day in the future I hope...

I make my own cards as the pre folded ones are not as thick as I like my cards to be so I buy both my A4 and my A3 from Papermill and get huge boxes of it delivered so my 6x6 cards are just smaller I cut them to about 15cm and the weight of my card is 300gsm for both my card and the boxes

For a 6x6 box I use 2 sheets of A4 card and as I am not only Dyslexic but also Dyscalcus I am pants at measuring so this is the perfect thing for me as you do not have to cut at an 8th of an inch like I would ever be able to do that...

I cut both bits of A4 card at 21cm and that is it measuring done...


I choose which I want for my top/lid and always do that first....


I always use the second line in to score and I go all the way around completing all four sides...


As this is my top/lid I then take my circle punch and punch out a little from each side...


I then cut out the corners like so and pop it to one side....



I then take the other bit of card my bottom/base and push it up the the base side of the board and score again all the way around on the second line, but this time I am not cutting with the circle....


I cut out the corners the same as before....


I then carefully fold on all my score lines so it looks like this....


I always use a strong wet glue for this and paper clips to hold it in place while it sets, my favourite glue is from Wild Orchid Craft's and it is called Crafter's Pick and in my opinion is the best I have used, once you have glued the flaps to the inside and popped on a paper clip I leave for a good ten minutes to make sure it has stuck...


You can see the card fits nicely in to the box even with lots of embellishments on...


I always wrap my card in tissue paper to protect the embellishments and think it looks nice too....


This is the finished box, now you could even embellish the box too with name tags if you so wish...


You can see that the box is very deep, I have even popped in small gifts in mine as it is perfect for a card and a bar of chocolate...


For 8 by 8 cards I do the same as I have just done above but I use 2 sheets of A3 card and I cut it at 26cm by 26cm and this gives you a bigger box but the same depth...

I hope this made some sense to you, thank you for reading big hugs love Pops x x x




EDIT: Yes the card is the same size for both top and bottom as the Crafter's Companion board does all the measuring for you, the lines are different sizes and you will see on the board base and lid this is why this is the best board to do it with as you cannot go wrong, they have worked out all the sizes for you, so all you do is cut and sore.....

28 comments:

Vicky said...

Firstly 'Darn you Mr Blogger for stealing, tis naughty'
2ndly freakily this is how I first learnt how to make a box this was the first item my hubster brought me & I made the box first & then I made one of the handbag cards from the tutorial.....I ashamedly barely use it now but hopefully once my craft room is sorted I will use it more.
3rdly I know exactly what you mean about the card blanks, I end up reinforcing mine loads but most of the time I use my A4 from papermill, I still have a huge 600 sheet box sitting unopened lol....well I only got it bout 3 months ago & I'm waiting for an empty drawer lol.

I've reported mr blogger on the matter of theft & they are gonna be keeping some serious eyes on him for future stealing, mark my words!!

mmwah
Lotsa hugs Vicky xxx

Sarah said...

Fabby tutorial, thank you lovely lady xxx

~ Ali ~ said...

Fab Pops, i love my Ultimate!

Ali x

June Nelson said...

Thanks for this me darling, cos everyone that gets a card from me gets it bubble wrapped ina brown envelope how sad eh but hey I can now make boes yee haa lol, are both lid and bottom the same size and if so how do they fit over each other darlin thanks again xxxxx

Ina said...

Great tutorial!
Just like June I wonder or the lid and bottom fit over each other
Thank you very much!

Bernie said...

OMG I can't believe I'm nearly 65 and have never heard the word Dyscalculus before especially since I've suffered from it my entire life.
FAB tutorial! TFS
Blessings Bernie

Maryann said...

Awesome tut here Pops, I really loved it even I don´t have this board, but hopefully some day in the future too LOL.

Sue said...

Naughty blogger.Thank you very much for this tut.I dont use my ccu much.I do struggle with my boxes so bless you for this.
Sue x

1CardCreator said...

Thanks for sharing, the boxes are a wonderful way to give these heavily embellished cards too!

Poppet said...

Great tutorial Pops, great photos and really clear instructions. Hope Mr Blogger has only borrowed your tutorials and he returns them soon. :-) xx

Christine L said...

Brilliant tutorial hon... Thanks for sharing it!
Hugs
Christine x

Rebekah said...

This is so fab thanks so much for the TUT I have bookmarked this for future reference sweetie! Hugs Rebekah xx

mixamatoasties said...

Wow, that's fab. I must give boxes a try. And I love the wee card that was going in the box too!

Susan xx

Irene said...

Great tut Pop, the roayl mail must be extremely happy with you!!!
My cards are ca. 14,5x14,5 and even with embellies they fit nicely in an envelope of 15x15 cm. I turn them inside out so the embellies are well protected and always seem to survive the trip because I never get any complaints.
But maybe my cards are modest compared to some with loads of gorgeous things on them and then the trick won't work of course and we need to make boxes!

Hug, Irene

Sandra said...

Hi Pop's l have copied and paste this so l can always have it and its a great tutorial thank you for sharing this and mr blogger what's going on?!!:) Sandra H

May said...

Hi Pop's I got a ultimate for christmas, and have'nt really used it but this great wee tutorial has been great just going to get it opened up to have a play, thank you lovely lady, Hugs May x x x x x

Sue said...

Hi Hun
brill tut, now i have the cc box maker, i did it the same as you, one side top one side bottom, they come out two diff sizes, tried it more than once! lol, joey had same prob!!!! sue,x

Mary J said...

OH thx for the tute Pops! Been meaning to make boxes for my thicker cards - which is all of them, lol!!

heidy said...

Wow fab tutorial sweetie!
XXX Heidy

EELS said...

Hi Pops this was a great reminder to use my Crafter's Companion board more often. Do you send your boxed cards through the mail 'as is', or do you actually pop the box into an envelope or whatever?
I've made boxes myself in the past but not sure if they'd survive Australia Post lol.
Cheers,
Elaine

Jude said...

Thank for the fabulous tutorial Pops. I will definately give this a go.

Hugs
Judex

Cheryl said...

Hi Pops, thanks so much for the tutorial , I always love to see how other people make different things, it really gives you some great ideas. tfs.
Hugs Cheryl

Maria said...

Awesome tutorial Pops, Thank you!
Hugs,

Maria B.

Alessandra said...

wow, thanks for sharing this great tutorial, Hun! I certainly will try this out.
Hugs, Alessandra

Kerryn said...

Pops that is a great tutorial and I so need one of those boards!! Thank you x

Andrea C said...

Very cool, might need to get one of those now hehe x

Bea und Doreen said...

Thanks a lot Sweetie - it's a fab tutorial. By the way - my English isn't the best but I think you are admirable. The life with your kids and I can imagine it isn't easy every day, your simply stunning craft projects - WOW
Love your creations - they are amazing.
I have two little kids (1 and 4 years) and I know what it means to be a mom ;) But my kids are healthy and this makes a lot of things really easier for me.
Wish you all the best, a lot of love, energy and support.
Love and hugs
Doreen xx

Roma said...

Fab tutorial i will need to try this out as i am useless at making boxes x